Join Lux Debate Camp
Lux Debate Camp will provide a 6-week introductory debate training camp during Summer 2019, starting in mid June and running through early August, with a couple of breaks. There will be one class per week (except for breaks), and each class will be from 3 hours long, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. Classes will be held in around the San Francisco Bay area, based on demand. Exact locations are still to be decided. At the end of the course, students will have an opportunity to participate in a final debate competition, as the grand finale event.
Topics covered will include:
- Team Policy Debate (2 debate teams of 2 persons debating each other on topics of United States federal government policy);
- Lincoln Douglas Debate (1 on 1 debate about topics involving ethical dilemmas and / or balancing competing values in law)
- Public Speaking;
- Fundamental Principles of Logic;
- Critical Thinking (including recognition of unstated assumptions and fallacious arguments);
- Research Skills; and
- Oral and Written Communication Skills.
The instructor for the classes of Summer 2019 will be Glenn Ballard, and Mr. Ballard's own children will participate in the classes.
The cost of the camp is $300 per student. Families with multiple students will receive a discount of 50% for each student after the first one. (For example, a family with two students enrolled would pay a total cost of $450, and a family with three students enrolled would pay a total cost $600, and so on.) Also, full tuition scholarships are available, based on a combination of demonstrated merit and verified financial need (references required).
Cupertino Location Announced for Summer 2019
Lux Debate Camp will be holding two cohorts of training sessions in Cupertino this summer. The location is 10505 Miller Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014, on the campus of Creekside Community Church, right next to Creekside Park (where the Cupertino Friday Farmers' Market is held). (Lux Debate Camp is not affiliated with Creekside Community Church in any official capacity, except that we are renting their facilities.) The dates and times are listed below.
- Cohort 1 - Tuesday evenings - 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm (with a couple of breaks) on the following Tuesdays: Jun 11, Jun 18, Jul 2, Jul 9, Jul 16, Jul 30
- Cohort 2 - Saturday midday - 11:00 am - 2:00 pm (with a couple of breaks) on the following Saturdays: Jun 15, Jun 22, Jul 6, Jul 13, Jul 20, Aug 3
- Both Cohorts - Bonus Review Sessions during the week of August 5
- Both Cohorts - Saturday, August 10 - 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
For more information, email us at email@example.com or call us at 408 203 7981.